Monday, July 7, 2008

they're like a skirt... with legs.

I'm in the lobby of a hotel in New Orleans right now, waiting for tomorrow and the Decaydance Off Warped show at the House of Blues. I've had a ticket booked for this since before I came to the States and I can't WAIT to line up and get on barricade and actually watch the show rather than the backs of people's heads.

I had to get a Greyhound at 4am from our last show in Houston to here. A lot of the buses were driving through New Orleans but ours wasn't and I couldn't find a ride to jump on... Ziggy tried to get me into his bus (GCH) but they were taking 4 extra people already plus a bunch of people's girlfriends so that was just way too tight.

I have a large blog saved on my laptop which I will post once I return to the bus in a couple of days - I didn't bring it with me. But here's the basics:

- Treaty left, which means Mike left, which means I was extremely sad.

- Jack's Mannequin arrived which is heavenly, expect a video with Andrew sometime soon. He is everyone's favorite, everyone just wants a piece of him all the time - not in an intrusive way, just a lot of the bands etc know him and he is just so beloved. He is everyone's friend. I see him get hugged about 8 times a day. He always says hi to everyone he even vaguely knows, and called me homeskillet yesterday in the catering line. The man is a gem and just a force of positive energy.

- Shit went down with the Boss in Missouri, who I will now name as Steve Steadham - he's a pro skater and was also performing on the Skate Ramp stage, reggae music. This is detailed heavily in the upcoming blog, but stuff got extremely shady - not the actual work, the work was fine - and we went and asked production a few questions. Kevin and Lisa (tour mom and dad) were not too happy with him and there was a meeting with everyone on our crew and Kevin encouraged us all to quit the job (not the tour) and we did.

- I'd actually already been offered another job by the Pink Spiders and was trying to find a way to break that to him so it came up in the meeting. So I'm with them now and I'm a stagehand/tech. Look for me running on and off the Hurley stage with guitars, amps, fans and mic stands - I'll be the only little girl. Took a few days for the guys who work the stage (not my band, but the others) to actually give me things to carry, but I think it's all good now. I also cover merch, carry a sign around, go to production for them, go to catering for them, etc. They're in a van but I have a bus spot with Music Saves Lives, which is lovely. TPS are only on til July 20 but I think I have another job lined up after that which would just be ridiculously good.

- The next day - Kansas- some serious shit went down. Came back from working for the Spiders, to Steve's bus. In the meeting it had been established that it was okay to stay there as I had paid for my spot and he was going to honor that. Anyway, got back there - SOAKING DRIPPING WET because it was a huge storm that shut down a few of the last bands. I got hit with hailstones taking my merch stuff to the truck. So I get on and he's all 'oh are you here to get your stuff?' and im like 'fuck no i'm not, what the hell are you talking about you insane douchebag' - well, not in those words. And basically he'd decided or established that we were all to leave the bus that day - despite paying. I just looked at him and was like 'whatever, no. i do not want to deal with this shit.' I saw Farewell's RV just pulling out and I jumped off the bus and RAN, almost got hit by a truck, slammed on their passenger window and was like 'he's kicked me off. please, tonight, please?' and they're all just like 'get the fuck in right now.' cause they know the progess of the entire Steve deal. I bolted back, - grabbed my pillow, laptop, and an armful of clothes and he's all 'what about your bags?' I just look at him and look outside and pretty much tell him he's a ridiculous idiot and it's a storm, my friends are holding up other buses in order to help me, and I'll get my bags off when he gives me the money back. (the agreement in the meeting was that he'd give back the remainder pro-rata if we decided to get another bus spot instead of staying on his) - so Farewell saved me, wouldn't take any money for gas so I bought them a new cooler, and after the shock and storm had worn off, I had an okay night. Next day I went straight to production, told Lisa and Kevin and they were beyond unhappy about it - they agreed with me that NOTHING had been established about leaving the bus that day and were as shocked as I were. I seriously doubt Steve will be asked back to do Warped again if he keeps pulling Steves.

- There was an excellent party after the Dallas show at a place called the Doublewide. There was much Jager bought for people by certain guys who used to be in a band called Something Corporate and much ridiculous affection from guys who used to be in a band called Remember Maine. Those fan boundaries I keep stating that I worry about crossing - kind of being dragged over them by the ones in question. Not going to lie, it's pretty fucking awesome, but I'm so happy just being here and my girls... V and Mara.. and my Farewell guys are pretty much all the party company I could want. Anything else is just a bonus but that night was filled with bonuses. Cuddly, cuddly bonuses.

- 4th July we were in Austin. Pink Spiders played one room at Emos, Andrew WK played the other and I was hopping back and forth all night.

- My band were in a van accident the other night, I woke up to a text saying 'can you go tell production we're in the ER and might be late.' They actually got there ok - albeit extremely woozy - played early, packed up early, sent them to the van to lie down, had WAFFLES ON A STICK for lunch - really, a waffle-sicle, Sundays on Warped, lunch is always a brunch meal - then they went to a hotel to rest and clean up and I did merch the rest of the day.

- a big one - I've heard the new TAI... album and fuck me, it was an incredibly awkward and wonderful experience being shut in their tiny back lounge listening to it on William's ipod, with running commentary from him and Jack. It makes me completely nervous thinking about it, like good and a bit sick, it's.. yeah. Don't ask me to be coherant on this. But I'm still in shock that they offered to play it for me, let alone the fact I've actually heard it and that I was the first fan they asked to listen to it - Adam and William both on separate occasions. They make me completely brain dead in the best possible way. I wanna hear it again SO bad... I have tiny bits stuck in my head and then forget them, you know? God. August 19th, people... I hope I can grab a copy from them on the last day of Warped so I have it to listen to on the plane.

I need to eat now, I am craving a mushroom pizza like nobody's business. GIVE ME.

No comments: